Bryant, James C.
Title The Mirador Room: Memories of an Era, 1939-1998
Binding Soft cover
Book Condition Near Fine
Publisher Atlanta, GA Capital City Club 1999
Seller ID 26065
two faint stains on the back cover and slight rubbing at the top and bottom edges.
An important and extremely scarce piece of Atlantiana, only 5 copies appear in institutional libraries (per OCLC). This is a history of place, people, and events, richly illustrated in color and black & white photos. The Mirador Room at the Capital City Club in Atlanta was designed in 1939 by Philip Trammel Shutze, legendary architect of the Swan House and many other Atlanta architectural treasures. Shutze's solution to creating a sense of openness in a small windowless room was to surround the room with fifteen mirrors painted in reverse with scenes of Georgia's flora and fauna. Athos Menaboni was chosen to execute the paintings which were finished just a few days before the world premiere of Gone With the Wind. Some guests involved with that movie were among the first to view the paintings at private parties held in the Mirador Room. The Mirador Room was disassembled in 1998 and the majority of the reverse painted mirrors were placed in storage.